Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

boombah musings



So Operation Boombah continues to occupy my thoughts.
It's not that I'm a relentless self-improver.....how exhausting and boring and so 1997.
I just need the mechanics of daily life to move, if not like a well-oiled machine, then at least like a machine which has some semblance of reliability.

We're a large family, so I suppose there's always going to be a certain amount of mayhem.....and I love that!
I just don't want to be so exhausted, that I can't enjoy the ride.

For this reason, I've been reading quite a lot on the subject of organisation, time management, motherhood, family dynamics and health. 
I've learned some really interesting ideas as well as some absolute nonsense e.g. a filing system listing household chores on a 4 week rotating roster? Help!

Here's some of the random ideas and facts which I've discovered, some through trial and error, and others through reading:

grocery lists are essential - not the sign of a weak mind.

the less you visit the supermarket, the less nonsense you buy.

weekly meal menus are good,  they help make you efficient - not anal retentive

there is no healthy take away food except for sushi.....
and how often do you see a drive thru sushi?  plan ahead.

having an extra fridge to store surplus supplies of milk
so you don't run out at 3am works very well indeed.

don't make any major life decisions while you're sleep deprived...
and definitely don't go to the hairdressers, sleep deprived
and say "do whatever you like"..write that down.

rice freezes and thaws really well.  make a huge batch and freeze in separate freezer bags. 

a good quality powdered stock is much more cost efficient and convenient than liquid and it's low-fat.

margarine has been banned from sale in the UK -
 it has been deemed a toxic non-food (!)

rice bran oil spread, while expensive, is cholesterol free and full of omega-3. 

fresh, healthy food is more expensive,
but a health crisis can be much expensive and inconvenient.

making a pot of soup or an omelette for dinner is okay. 
every dinner does not have to be a gastronomic extravaganza.

a weekly game of cards with the family is invaluable for reminding us all
how to be gracious losers or humble winners.
It's also a life skill.

be quick to praise and slow to criticise.

ironing teatowels and pillowcases are not a priority.......
sitting down next to my husband whilst enjoying a TV show
and holding his hand is.

boys will talk to you if you are doing something with them,
they will be reluctant to open up when you are face-to-face.

climbing trees and making fairy gardens are valuable pursuits.

girls get their self-esteem from their fathers. 
But, they also crave approval from their mums.

be the last to pull away from a hug.

if there is no TV after school, it's amazing how much the kids talk to each other 
and how much more they will read. 
{this was a huge discovery....I know, we're a bit slow on the uptake}

an old fashioned paper and pen diary works better
than an electronic PDA if you are a visual person.

cleaning out closets regularly is good for the soul,
it also provides the same "rush" as when you buy something new.

you will become Cinderella for your family
{and be simmering with resentment}
 if you insist on everything being done perfectly.

show your children once, help them once, then leave them to do it by themselves. 
it's good for them and their future partners will love you to pieces.

make a really great playlist on iTunes to mop your floors to....this helps with the resentment factor. 
 how can I stay cranky when listening to my 80's remix? 
simple minds, the cure, depeche mode....awesome.

superwoman is currently "missing in action"
 i suspect she entered a facility to treat her exhaustion and control issues.


I would love you to add any ideas, it's always helpful to learn of new and creative ways to reign in chaos or inspire healthy living.  I subscribe to the theory that "it takes a village to raise a child"....but in this case, it might just "take a blogosphere to raise some goofballs".

 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar