So Kelly's middle name is Lake, which has led to a lot of comments and questions.Some of them are of the "That's beautiful! Where does it come from?" variety. Others are delivered in the "where the HELL did you come up with THAT name?" tone.
I don't really care how people react. I think it's a beautiful name. But for those who have been curious, here are some of our reasons.
Lake, first off, is not that odd a name. Consider River Phoenix, or the actress Lake Bell. (Her twin's name is Luke, which ... Luke and Lake? Not so cool.)
It's a beautiful word. Easy to spell, easy to say, and something about it just bespeaks what it is -- you can almost hear the water lapping the shore in the word itself. (Or is that just me?) It goes well with Kelly, and it gives her the same middle initial I have (L is for Lee, in my case.)
There's definitely a Minnesota connection. I doubt we would have given her that middle name had we lived in Minnesota now -- there it would have seemed too obvious, I guess, being the Land of 10,000 Lakes and all. But here, where lakes are not that common, the name does not give everyone the same associations.
Mary McCarthy's famed "The Group" has a character called Lakey. It's a nickname, for Elinor Eastlake, but when I read it used as a name, I really liked it.
And one pop-culture association that Rob loves to fool people into believing is our only reason: Remember "Bad News Bears," the original, with Walter Matthau? Jackie Earle Haley played the cool kid, who batted and fielded like a pro, rode a moped, and dated Tatum O'Neal. His name? Kelly Leak. OK, so it's not quite Kelly Lake, but really, who would want "leak" anywhere near your name?
We seriously considered Kelly Grace (Grace is Rob's mom's name, plus a beautiful, if popular, name in its own right), but I couldn't bear to think of her going through her life being asked about Grace Kelly all the time. (Half the people I tell this to don't make the connection, but the other half nod knowingly.)
Shockingly, we did NOT name her after this.

0 Yorumlar